Monday, February 25, 2013

Installing Salix without Lilo but with Grub2

I wanted to try slcakware but without the dreaded Lilo with which I have bad experiences.
After preparing the installation partition with gparted (with a differentCD) I installed without installing the bootloader.
Rebooted with the install cdrom and this boot specification:
huge.s root=/dev/sda15 rdinit= ro
Note the space after the last = sign.
In this way I was able to boot into the new installation.
Installed grub2 after updating the repos:
slapt-get -u && slapt-get -i grub2
Then: #grub-install /dev/sda15
Then updated grub in my main Archbang system with grub-optimizer.
After that I updated the Slackbuilds repolist with slapt-src -u and
installed my fav filemanager Spacefm with: slapt-src -i spacefm.
I failed to build chromium, see in next post how I succeeded with Google Chrome.


1 comment:

p. Trindade said...

Please explain the part of the reboot and on prompt, something his going wrong we me at that part. Thanks.

Blog Archive

About Me

Exclusion of liability Regarding StillStupid: The use you make of the guides, tips and downloads that you listed on this web site or on another website to which I refer is entirely at your own risk. In no way can I be held liable for damage or consequential damages of any kind, which occurs as a result of that use.