Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Install glitches with ArchBang

First problem when using the ArchBang installer was that I was unable to create a new partition:
When I tried to partition unallocated space on the hard drive, I got a problem that I could not resize the extended partition in which I wanted to create a new partition for Arch. What happened is that the Archbang cd was using the swap partition on that extended partition. I had to swapoff the swap partition and only then the extended partition could be unmounted what is necessary for resizing. In the aftermath quite an obvious thing, but it took me some time to detect the problem.

Problems installing NVidia driver:

64 bits version
no luck with nvidia
trying to reinstall according to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 04#p717804
but first solution gives nvidia package not found not found in sync db
Keeping nv gives
configuration failed
number of screens doesn t match number of detected devices.

Within 10 minute there was a fix from the kind ShyLock, who we are thankful for provding Archbang together with WillExtreme, who took the initiative of creating AB.
The reason you were getting "not found in sync db" error was coz repositories database needed to be created and updated for the first time!
So just use: pacman -Syy

But then another weird problem showed up>

Got this error doing pacman -Syy

Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to update core (no servers configured for repository)
error: failed to update extra (no servers configured for repository)
error: failed to update community (no servers configured for repository)
error: failed to synchronize any databases


The solution to this problem was:

Check the mirrorlist under /etc/pacman.d/ and make sure it has some mirrors uncommented.


Then I was able to install the Nvidia drivers but still no show.
Error message> fatal server error no screen found
I tried to install the nvidia-beta drivers and nvidia-utils-beta but not found.
Installed the default and shows in the xorg.0.log: nvidia glx module 195.39.80 loaded. The xorg.conf file proved to be the problem.

Second guess was that there was a wrong xorg.conf. This proved the way to a solution;
replaced wrong setup with:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Exclusion of liability Regarding StillStupid: The use you make of the guides, tips and downloads that you listed on this web site or on another website to which I refer is entirely at your own risk. In no way can I be held liable for damage or consequential damages of any kind, which occurs as a result of that use.