First I want to update; pacman didn't work so I thought the repositories were uncommented in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. I had to sync with pacman -Syy.
After an update of pacman I installed powerpill for quick updating. Then updated with pacman -Syyu.
Symbiosis comes with thunar. As I use single click for opening folders and this option wasn't kept in Thunar as a preference I installed pcmanfm.
In fact I prefer pcmanfm-mod but I also install the basic pcmanfm. The reason I use pcmanfm-mod is that all my other partitions are always shown and easily mounted. It is in AUR.
On the forum I read that packer in which you build pcmanfm-mod was missing fakeroot and patch as dependencies in the default Symbiosis; so installed that. To build pcmanfm-mod I also needed gcc (C compiler), pkg-config and make. You get all the needed build tools in once by doing sudo pacman -S base-devel
You can get all this with pacman -S base-devel .
(Another issue I had is the incompability of fam and gamin; gamin is newer and replaces fam and includes it; had to remove fam and thunar-vfs to be able to install gamin).
With packer I also installed adeskbar and my own self made openbox-madpablo-theme. I put Adeskbar on top in autohide and moved tint2 to the bottom.
Multimedia: vlc (a pity it pulls the qt deps) and minitube. (built with packer).
Create a symbloic link from my media on the ntfs drive to my home video folder
sudo ln -s /media/Backup/VIDEOS /home/paul/videos
Idem for music files.
For versatility: python 2, gksu.
Then I add my keybindings for manipulating windows to /home/user/.config/openbox/ rc.xml.
I installed Firefox, with Adblock plus, Evernote, Xmarks, DuckDuckGo as search engine plugin, dictionaries for spell checking and the most important addon text-area cache that backups everything I type in Firefox and proved a life saver on many occasions. This last add on would already be enough to keep using Firefox. But I drift away from my main topic.
Install libreoffice (pulls openjdk) and libreoffice-nl.
Manage groups, add group burning (groupadd burning) and user (gpasswd -a paul burning)
to be continued
- ► 2013 (33)
- ► 2012 (29)
- How to create a custom search plugin for Arch Wiki...
- Cairo Composite Window Manager
- If a theme doesn't show up in lxappearance
- After install Archbang 2011.1 Symbiosis -what is n...
- Creating a hidden Linux installation
- Learn Vim
- Managing groups
- Mplayer-vdpau-svn error when updating
- When you don't manage to start X
- Autocomplete or wordprediction in Linux
- roll back kernel version
- AdComps adapted Oblogout script
- Display Power management time setting Arch
- image as wallpaper
- ▼ January (14)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (62)
- ► 2008 (123)
- Exclusion of liability Regarding StillStupid: The use you make of the guides, tips and downloads that you listed on this web site or on another website to which I refer is entirely at your own risk. In no way can I be held liable for damage or consequential damages of any kind, which occurs as a result of that use.